April 10, 2017 at 12:55 am #14994
Hi! I would appreciate your help with the Zealot theme. I have 2 questions:
1) The Top story on the main page isn’t using the Subtitle and instead is using text from the body of the post. It is, however, working correctly if you click on the post. How can I fix this?
Here’s the main page where Subtitle isn’t being used: https://chrisplough.com
Here’s the post, where it is: https://chrisplough.com/cps-40th-ploughshare-birthday/
2) Also, for the posts in the story stream, how do I choose what text is shown under the title? I notice in the demo that the text doesn’t match up with the body of the story. For instance in the demo, the story “We Tread Again” has “When you get knocked down sometimes the best thing…” on the main page, but when you click on it, the body starts with “Sweet roll wafer gummies oat cake pudding pie gummies applicake ice cream.”
I’d like to do the same for my stories to provide a synopsis on the front page.April 10, 2017 at 6:45 am #14995
Hi Chris, thank you for your purchases.
For the first question, I would need to release a new version of Zealot or make you a child theme. It’s a relatively a small change but requires some code changes.
As for your second question, here is the answer.
1. Go to your Edit Post page under your dashboard to edit your page..
2. On your top right hand side, you will see a tab called “Screen Options”. Click it to open it.
3. Check “Excerpt”
4. Now under the post editing area (scroll down) you will see a box to edit your “Excerpt”
Hope it helps and give me some time to get back to you about the first question.April 10, 2017 at 12:36 pm #15004
Thank you for the fast response, Hyun. I’m comfortable either way – either with a new version or a child theme. If you could make that update, I’d appreciate it.
The only customization I’ve made so far is to add the css change to allow the topic boxes to display correctly. Going forward, I plan to update the fonts, but otherwise keep the theme stock.April 11, 2017 at 7:50 am #15013
Hi Chris, please allow me some time to release a new version of Zealot. It makes sense to offer this option in general if we were to support subtitles. Thanks. Let me know if you have any other issues or questions.April 13, 2017 at 10:41 am #15035
Hi Chris, a new version of Zealot (1.2) has been released which address the subtitle issue.April 13, 2017 at 11:41 am #15040
Hi Hyun – thank you. I just applied it. Subtitles are showing up for all posts and I noticed the category block CSS fix is there too 🙂 I like the way you’ve implemented it.
I just finished rough testing the theme and see two easy issues that I’d appreciate your help with.
1) Related to the fix above: for the Top Story, even though the excerpt is empty, a few words from the post are shown. I like having this option. Is there a way to choose not to include these words? Possibly something I’m missing? The way I thought it might work is to display nothing if the excerpt is empty and display the excerpt if it is present.
2) I have the search widget in the sidebar, rather than the header. Even so, the menu doesn’t seem to take up the full width of the header and instead wraps early. Is there a way to have it use the width of the header?
Here’s a screenshot that will help: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m38ve7bxmi0v4hp/Screen_Shot_2017-04-13_at_10_18_29.png?dl=0
If there’s anything I can share that would be helpful, let me know.April 13, 2017 at 12:06 pm #15041
Hi Chris, #1 is a standard WordPress behavior. It can be overridden but would require some PHP code changes. So it may make sense to create a child theme. I will get back to you on that.
Here is a quick fix for #2. You can insert the following custom CSS code.
padding-right: 0px !important;
}April 13, 2017 at 12:31 pm #15042
Thank you. BTW – I’ve applied the CSS fix for the menu and it’s perfect.April 14, 2017 at 10:13 am #15049
Hi Chris, here is the Zealot child theme that would hide excerpt if no manual excerpt is setApril 14, 2017 at 11:02 am #15050
Hyun – I just applied and it works well. Thank you for all your help 🙂
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.